Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Planning my summer vacation to Hawaii

It was a few months back that our friends John and Sarah came up with a plan to visit Hawaii, with enough time being made available to go deep into the tropical archipelago’s rich environs, including rare flora and fauna that cannot be found anywhere in the continental North America.

John said we needed at least three weeks to explore everything in his list of important places to visit, the historic Pearl Harbor and the capital Honolulu included. I was in the midst of a big professional project and could not spare much time. So, I left everything to be decided by my wife and turned to view my favorite program on ABC.

Last week my wife said that it is time to get ready and head for Hawaii. In fact she had planned everything meticulously. But casually I asked her about home security while we were away. I knew it was a stupid question just because we have piece of mind by using ADT home alarm system, the best that WV alarm companies can offer. And that is already installed.

But a few things more needed to be done like including a motion detector on our porch, smoke and heat sensors to take care of any fire hazards that can occur due to any short circuits or other reasons, etc.

Mailbox is quite important from the point of view of home security. A fully stuffed mailbox with some of the mail sticking out is a sure indication to possible intruders that the occupants of the house are away for sometime. So, I need to tell my friends to collect the mail as I would do everyday. Similarly I have to ask them to pick up newspapers and magazines left by the newsvendors.

Open windows and doors are to be securely closed so that intruders do not find it easy to enter the house. Dust and dry leaves that get accumulated around the house also show that no body is using the house. I have to ensure that somebody cleans them up and do not allow them to accumulate.

No comments: